Louisiana Car Donation

louisiana act of donation of a movableIn Louisiana, the way that you donate a car (or any titled vehicle or movable) is with an Act of Donation of a Movable and title transfer. I run into a lot of the same questions on this, so let me give some details that may help. Let’s deal with the title transfer first:

Every titled movable such as a car, truck, trailer, etc. in Louisiana has a title (piece of paper) that is issued by the LA Office of Motor Vehicles. The front of the title lists the name of the current owner, the title number, the year the vehicle was made, the make, model, and other information. The back of the title has a space for the vehicle/title to be transferred to a new owner.

If you decide to donate your vehicle, the best thing to do is to go to a notary, along with the new owner, and let the notary public help you fill out the back of the title. The donor and donee will sign the back of it, and the notary will sign it and place his seal on it. In the slot where you list the sales price, you will print “donation”.

As for the Act of Donation, it is a simple form that lists the donor, donee, vehicle information, etc. This form should be signed by both parties and two witnesses, all in front of a notary. You will have to fill out an approximate value of the vehicle, and state the relationship of the parties.

A lot of us want to donate a vehicle because we want to avoid paying taxes on it. With a normal cash sale of a used vehicle, the buyer will pay taxes on the amount paid. Some people try to avoid making that tax payment by calling the transfer a donation. The problem is that unless the donor and donee are immediate family members (such as father/son), the state will consider it a disguised sale. You must be immediate family in Louisiana to donate vehicles between individuals!

If you are immediate family and you want to donate a car, it makes a lot of sense to just bring everything to a notary and let him take care of it. You will need the title and drivers licenses for the donor and donee. Let your notary take care of the rest.

If you need a notary in the Baton Rouge area that can help, just give me a call at 225-907-5280. Thank you for reading!


Leave a Reply